• Online Payments

Registration Guide

In this article you will know how to obtain a National Insurance Number and Card, replace your card, how long does it normally take to get registered, the different types of cards and what is this number used for. Use the provided link to complete access further content pages.

How do you obtain a National Insurance Number and Card?

If you are 16-65 years old and working, you must be registered with the National Insurance Board. To get your number and card, you will need to complete and submit a registration application and provide documents that show your age, identity, citizenship and your work permit (where applicable).

Registering with the National Insurance Board and obtaining your original card is free of charge.

How to replace your card?

If you need a duplicate card because yours was lost or stolen or a corrected card because you have changed your name, you can call or visit one of our local offices . To replace a card one will need to complete an application and show one or more documents as identification. The replacement card will have the same name and number as your previous card. To change your name on your card, you will need to show one or more documents that identify you by your old name and your new name. The new card will be made out in your new name but with the same number as your previous card.

All documents needed in this process should be originals or certified copies. We will make photocopies and return them to you.

*Replacement cards have a $20 administration fee.

Below is a typical list of the documents you will need:

  • A passport for a new card;
  • A photo passport and/or birth certificate for a replacement card; and
  • A marriage certificate or divorce papers for a name change.
  • This list is not exhaustive; we will let you know if other documents are needed when you file your registration.

How long does it normally take to register?

If you live on Grand Turk or Providenciales, registration should take no more than 5 working days; it will be slightly longer for the other islands.

Type of Cards

The National Insurance Board currently issues one type of card, which will show your name, date of birth, signature and National Insurance Number (NINO).

What is this number used for?

The National Insurance Board uses your NINO (National Insurance Number) to store all your relevant information; this includes a record of your earnings.

We advise that you do the following to ensure that your earnings are accurately recorded and that your employers’ records agree with ours:

  • Always show your registration card to your employer when your start a job rather than rely on your memory.
  • Always check your name and NINO on your pay stub to make sure that they are correct.
  • Make periodic enquiries to the National Insurance Board to ensure that our records match your personal records.
  • Notify us every time you change your name.
  • Remember that the registration number given to you will remain the same even though you may change jobs.

If you find that you have more than one national insurance number you should advise the Local Office so that your contribution records can be merged.

Copyright © 2024 National Insurance Board | Turks and Caicos Islands. All Rights Reserved.